Thursday, December 15, 2011

When in Doubt... Make a Trifle

I usually have pretty good success when it comes to baking, what can go wrong when you follow a recipe? Yeah, but sometime things go wrong, and it's not pretty.
My dad came home a few days ago from being away for 6 months, over those months he had his birthday.  I decided to have a cake ready for when he arrived since I wasn't able to make anything on the actual day.  It was a cake I had made a few times for him before, Jewish Apple Cake.  My grandmother gave us the recipe, and you bake it in a bunt pan. Here it is... Beautiful right?



It's not my best work.
Here's what happened: It was baking beautifully, and when the timer went off I tested it with a toothpick, not done yet. It went in for another 10 minutes then I put the toothpick in again. Done. But apparently not quite, toothpicks are only so long and bunt cakes are deep. When I flipped it on to a plate what came out was the bottom half, which was oozing and dripping raw batter. The top half was still in the pan... So it all went back into the oven, the top half in the bunt pan and the bottom in a glass baking dish. 
I really wanted to just dump it, but my brother informed me that "the batter is really delicious!". 
What you see in the bowl is what I was able to scrape out of the bunt pan.
I ended up doing the only thing left to do: make a trifle :).
We bought some vanilla  ice cream and I made it look on purpose!


My last two posts have been about failed cooking attempts... Really, I can cook... 

2 comments:

  1. the trifle is gorgeous! looks like it was your intention all along. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Glad to know I'm not the only one with one or two kitchen mishaps. ;) What you turned it into looks great though!
    When I was much younger I tried making a gingerbread for the first time...it turned out slanted in the pan and Rock. Hard. I still don't know to this day what happened there. O.o haha!

    ReplyDelete